The Express Yourself gallery provides environments and experiences through which children and adults can freely express themselves through the visual and performing arts. Children will engage in self-directed exploration and practice of the arts, and a gallery showcases and honors the artistic work of young people. Children and adults can connect with the wide range of arts experiences and artists in the state.
This area provides experiences and tools to help young people express themselves through a variety of media. From visual to performing, visitors will embrace their inner artist.
- Music Gallery: Build an instrument, create & mix Mississippi Sounds, record and play back your own song on a voice sequencer, and play resonator bells or bluegrass instruments.
- Blue Screen Experience: You are the star as you perform songs by MS artists on a concert, choir, county fair stage, or in the shower!
- Dance Gallery: Explore body movement through dance to music coming from the gigantic juke box; perform on ballet bars, at mirrors, or on our stage with four scenic-painted backdrops designed to promote pretend play and a love of movement.
- Outside the Lines: All coloring is not done “inside the lines;” art is a collaborative, open-ended, free-form and often messy process. Children can get creative with interactive art: paint launch, hand painting, pop up art, collage art, H2O art and soft sculpture.
- Inspirations Studio: Budding artists can be motivated by the work of MS artists in this miniature art gallery, which houses a teaching space for visiting artists and kiosks featuring MS artwork with self-directed activities.
At MCM we believe that engagement in the visual and performing arts experience helps to foster and inspire life long learning. Click here to learn more about why we believe the Arts are so important!